Monday, April 12, 2010

I have taken a very long hiatus from this blog over the winter, and really have picked up my camera very little lately. Over the next few weeks, I plan to blog more and hopefully post some photos of my upcoming trip to Haiti to work at Hospital Adventiste d'Haiti. I took my first Chloroquine tablet last Friday night (anti-malarial medication that is started one week before arrival in the country), and the countdown is currently at 3 days and 40 minutes till push back at the airport for the first leg of our trip. It will take us about 24 hours of travel to get down there with layovers. We are scheduled to arrive Friday afternoon if all goes as planned.

I am working today on packing and making sure I have my own personal pharmacy ready-- antibiotics for diarrhea, chloroquine, bug spray, and mosquito nets for malaria prevention, iodine tablets to treat the water just in case, sunscreen, nutrition bars and snacks to supplement the food the hospital can provide, gatorade packets for electrolyte replacement. The list goes on. The temperatures are about 90+ in the daytime and 80+ at night. The rainy season has begun officially as well, making life for the people living in tents even more difficult. The hospital there continues to be very busy, but is doing amazing work. For more on the happenings there, visit http://www.curecaribe.blogspot.com/

Since I do not yet have pictures from Haiiti to share, I wanted to share a few portraits from the Domincan Republic, which borders Haiti and shares the Island of Hispanola. These are some of the people I met last year while on trips to the DR. Thank you for all your prayers that have been prayed for us in advance and for those while we are there and for the teams there already.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for creating this blog and keeping us posted on the next few weeks. You are in our prayers and especially for your strength and energy as you go to serve Christ in Haiti. Let us know how we can help with supplies...
    Looking forward to seeing you at the end of the week Karen!
    love, Debi

    ReplyDelete