Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

Today marks the final day here at HAH. I decided Monday to come home a day early so that I could get home in time for my friend's memorial service on Friday. Since it was just a difference of a day and we had some good teams come in this week who can help with the work load, it was workable so I could leave and get home by Friday. If all flights go well, I'll be able to make it home late tomorrow night.

Leaving will be a mixed bag of emotions. In once sense I am very relieved to be heading home as we have worked day in and day out since arrival, with our easiest days being the first two we were here. We have continued to work 12 hour days or more with little time for breaks in the days. We did get to the hotel again last night for a short dip in the pool and some dinner-- I had the Italian spaghetti in honor of our departing friends, the Italian plastic surgery team. I decided to forgo the ominous dish of hotdog spaghetti. Yikes! It was a nice night to swim and enjoy being outside but not dripping in sweat.

We continue to work hard to save limbs and even a few lives from infection and blood loss. Things here are difficult for even easy tasks and so after two weeks, I am definitely in need of a break and just some time to not have to think about the long list of things we have to do to keep people alive and well. I usually don't sleep well on airplanes, but tomorrow might not be a problem.

Well, I am really exhausted and words are not coming to mind, so I am going to sign off for tonight. I actually plan to continue to write and post pictures over the weekend and possibly into the next weeks as I recall our experiences here. It will be really hard to say goodbye to the people, to our team, to our patients and to the hospital, though the respite is much needed. I'll let you know when I'm home....

No comments:

Post a Comment